Chamber Webinar - Preventing Violence in the Workplace: What HR and Managers Need to Know and Do
Chamber Webinar: Preventing Violence in the Workplace: What HR and Managers Need to Know and Do
Two Parts: March 8 & March 10, 2022 - 9:00 am - 10:30 am (ET)
Free Chamber webinar presented by Thomas A. Carney
This is the webinar that every manager, especially Human Resources Managers, needs to attend to ensure they PREVENT Violence in the Workplace - to stop violence before it ever happens!
Workplace violence is the second leading cause of occupational injury and a leading cause of workplace deaths; the leading cause of death for women in the workplace. This webinar is in two parts:
March 8th: Part 1 - Making Prevention a Reality: Identifying, Assessing, and Managing the Threat of Targeted Attacks!:
- Legal Definition of Workplace Violence.
- OSHA Act of 1970.
- Legal Issues Often Involved in WPV Related Lawsuits.
- Pre-Employment Screening/Open Source Intelligence (OSINT)
- 5 Types of Workplace Violence.
- Definition of an Active Threat?
- Can We Prevent An Active Threat/Workplace Violence Incident?
- Being "Left of BANG."
- General Characteristics of a Perpetrator of Workplace Violence.
- Recognizing Changes in Behavior (Pre-Attack Behaviors).
- 2019 FBI Study of Pre-Attack Behaviors.
- 6 Phases of an Active Shooter Attack.
- Active Shooter Case Study.
- Recognizing the Signs.
- Being Prepared.
March 10th: Part 2 -
Active Threat Response: Prepare to Survive!
- Being "Right of Bang."
- Mental Preparation to Survive an Active Threat Incident.
- How to Reduce the Severity of an Active Threat (Run, Hide, Fight).
- Actions of Responding Law Enforcement Officers.
- Communication after the incident.
- Recovery of business operations.
- Emotional responses of employees.
- Future outlook of the business.
- Business liability.
Presented by Thomas A. Carney: A 40+ year law enforcement veteran, expert in workplace violence prevention and active threat response; a former Commander of the City of Miami Police Departments, Capital Crimes Response Team and Crime Scene Investigation Division; and retired from law enforcement in 2015 as the Director of Police Services for the City of North Miami Beach, Florida.
In June of 2016, Tom moved to the Knoxville area and is currently a Senior Security Specialist at UCOR in Oak Ridge, responsible for developing and implementing physical security policies, procedures, and security plans for the U.S. Department of Energy's East Tennessee Technology Park.
Tom holds the Certified Protection Professional (CPP) designation by ASIS International. He has been an Adjunct Instructor at Florida Atlantic University, Institute of Government for 16 years, where he taught a class on the Prevention of Workplace Violence. He has also been published in professional journals on the Prevention of Workplace Violence
Register Online, email email@example.com or call 865-376-2093 ext. 206
Register once and you can attend for free Part 1 on March 8th and Part 2 on March 10th.
The Zoom link will be emailed to you two days before the webinar.
Roane State Community College will give Continuing Education Unites (CEU) for this webinar.
Date and Time
Tuesday Mar 8, 2022
9:00 AM - 10:30 AM EST
Register once and you may attend both parts:
Part 1 - Tuesday, March 8, 2022 and Part 2 - Thursday, March 10, 2022;
9:00 am - 10:30 am (ET) both days.
ONLINE WEBINAR - The Zoom link will be emailed to you two days before the webinar.
Allen Lutz 865-376-2093 ext. 206